1. How did you get started with doTERRA essential oils and social media coaching?
I actually started my business when I was in a very dark time in my life. I am a recovering addict, I was a year and a half out of rehab when doTERRA was introduced to me. I was dealing with deep depression, I was existing not living. I knew I desired so much more in life! doTERRA was literally a divine intervention. I had a prescription in hand to go back down the path that I had just shortly came out of, or start a new journey of health and wellness with doTERRA. I chose doTERRA, and here I am today. I am a high school graduate with no college background, I always knew I was destined for something greater in my life. I have been given that opportunity. Once broken, now thriving, I get to help others with their broken.
2. Did you always know you wanted to be an entrepreneur?
I didn't! I never even knew how to get started as one! I watched my sister in law build her business with a different company to become an entrepreneur. I was actually her assistant! I saw her help thousands and grow her dreams into a reality. That's when I knew this is what I wanted.
3. When did you know it was the right time to go full time on your business?
I was working a full time job and a part time job when I started my business in doTERRA. The company I was working for was not doing well in terms of finances. I was laid off in July of 2017 and that's when I invested full time plus hours. I hit the top of my doTERRA business in July 2018.
4. What are some of the biggest challenges you’ve had to overcome with owning your own business?
Discipline, Doubt, Fear. You run into these objections as you grow in your business, but when your dreams are bigger those trump those feelings. I do a lot of personal development in order to train my brain that “I can and I will”
5. How did you reach your potential clients when first starting your business?
Network, network, network. I talk to everyone! I share my passion for my business to anyone that will half listen. I offer solutions and hope. In any business you develop a skill set to talk to others. I am always working on that. Believe it or not, I was an introvert before this business. It has really helped me to grow outside of my comfort zone.
6. Do you feel you need to educate people on what you do?
In my business it’s all about education. I am constantly learning myself in order to share with others. I have an educational group where I provide a safe space and content where I teach about this natural lifestyle. It's become a strong community of people taking control of their health.
7. What is your favorite & least favorite “hat” to wear as a business owner?
Great question! I would have to say the boss, and then the boss. Some days you feel so empowered, because everything is going amazing, and then some days you realize its not. Amazing for sure outweigh the not, but you push through those tough days because you know it's part of the process. Failure is success when you learn from it.
8. How do you stay motivated?
My oils! Personal development, my family, my team, my customers who send messages of how their lives have changed because of these products. The messages make me cry every time. That's the motivation in itself.
9. How do you start your Monday?
Excited! I love Mondays! I use to LOATHE them. Now it's the beginning of a new week and new beginnings! I start all my mornings with a minimum of 15 minutes of personal development then the gym. Have to work the mind and body!
10. Where do you look for inspiration?
My team. I have seen my dreams happen right before my eyes for myself. Now I LOVE watching it happen for my team. They inspire me.
11. What is something you could not live without?
My oils and my phone. I know that's cheating but I can't choose!
12. Where is your favorite place to work?
Home. I have a small home and work from my kitchen table.On my vision board is to have an office with a gorgeous view, decorated by the best of course...Sarah Jacquelyn Interiors!
13. What are some colors you are connecting with right now?
I love cool tones. Blues, grays and silvers. It reminds me of peace and calm.
14. What are some of your favorite textures/ materials?
Wood, stone, metals. I love natural, but modern and clean. Lots of light.
15. If you could travel anywhere in the world for inspiration, where would it be and why?
doTERRA offers sourcing trips, where we can see first hand the beautiful farmers that harvest our resources. These are some of the hardest working people you will ever meet. We don't work with large corporate farms, we work with small scale farmers in order to provide sustainable jobs and provide reliable income in underdeveloped areas. It's pretty amazing. Kenya is one of them. That would be my inspirational trip.
16. What’s your favorite season and why?
Summer because I LOVE to be outdoors! So much life in the summertime. Throughout all the seasons this one reminds me that everything always comes full circle and blooms.
17. What’s your favorite thing to do in Chicago?
I really love to go into the city! We have some of the most amazing culture here in this beautiful city. I want to see it ALL!
18. As a busy business owner, how do you avoid burnout?
It’s okay to take a break, it's not okay to quit. If it doesn't bring you joy, then figure out how to change that.
19. What is a piece of advice you would tell your past self on the first day you started your business?
Trust the process.
20. Any inspirational books you recommend?
20. Anything I missed that you want to share?
You are amazing to give this opportunity to others so that we can show our dreams are worthy and we are capable. You are changing lives.
Thank you for this Sarah.